All disease begins in the gut. (see here).
Why do I care? Healing my gut has been instrumental in healing my body, my mind, and my spirit. Healing my soul. I am also hopeful, and even somewhat confident that gut health will allow me to live a longer, happier, and more productive life.
Non-comprehensive list of disease and ailments which have been linked to leaky gut syndrome:
- Chronic fatigue.
- Food allergies or sensitivities
- General/seasonal allergies.
- Joint pain.
- Skin rashes (related to inflammation)
- Nutritional deficiencies (improper absorption)
- Weakened immune system (from overexertion)
- chronic disease such as:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- mood disorders
- digestive issues
- Neurological disorders such as:
- Autism spectrum
- General anxiety
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
There are some studies that even link cancer to imbalances in the gut.
My family (including myself) is not the picture of health. In this day and age, I don’t think we’re unusual. Depression, cancer, IBS, anxiety, obesity, diabetes, parkinson’s dementia, stroke, kidney stones, digestive disorders, and more.
To be clear, I am not suggesting that all of these maladies could have been prevented by healing our gut. There are genetics (which don’t play as big a part as some would have us believe) there are environmental toxins, and there’s just damn bad luck.
When I know better, I feel I have the responsibility to TRY and do better. (we all know I faceplant on a regular basis, but I do pick my ass back up, dust off the brownie crumbs, and try again). There is so much hope and healing to be had.
- And it started with my fork.
- Which healed my gut.
- Which healed everything. (except the unicorn issues, and even THAT may be assisted by a healthy gut)
Light and Love,
Big (gutsy) Laura